Sunday, January 21, 2007

No taxi? A strike? What?????

Saturday is the day that Nepalis rest, no school, no govt offices etc.... So it was a free day for us. After breakfast most of the moms and babies got together and had a playgroup in the hallway on the third floor. It was great to have all the babies together again and for us to just get to sit and chat.

We played for a few hours, then we all went back to our rooms for snacks and nap. Paul and I decided that after Sujina woke up we wanted to go for a walk. Actually I wanted to go to Bodnath Stupa and have Sujina's picture made by my favorite stupa in Kathmandu.

It was a great day, pretty busy since everyone was out and about. We got a taxi and we were on our way. We didn't stay at Bodnath for very long, about 45 minutes. We walked around adn took photos. Paul bought a prayer wheel, but most of all we just took in the peacefulness of the area.

We then took a taxi over to Durbar Square, it is close to Thamel so I knew we could walk home from there, and that is what we did. It was a great walk, we saw some sights, people looked at us and commented to each other, some looks of approval and some not.

It is interesting to me how people look at us when we walk down the street. I find myself really wanting them to approve and be happy. I also find myself being very sensitive to whether Sujina is happy or not while we are out. I dont want her to cry or seem like she is not happy in anyway. I guess I am afraid that the Nepali people will come and take her away if they think I am not a good mother.

Our walk took us through some side streets that were off the beaten path, which I love, and let us see some of Kathmandu that we wouldnt normally see as tourist.

No comments: