Monday, January 29, 2007

Is it Dhulikhel or Dhulikill?????

After we went to our room and unpacked a bit, we decided to walk around the village. It was a
traditional Newri village, small streets, beautiful wooden carved doors and windows and animals 
everywhere. 

Of course we were the talk of the village, not only being whities, but having a Nepali baby makes 
heads turn twice as fast. I think the word spread throught the town because I swear I saw the 
same ladies over and over again staring. 

We walked all over the village, we talk to some villagers, took some photos, bought some Sari's 
and watched the village men play their games, cards! They would  not let me take their photo though. I did happen to get these two guys playing ping pong on a small shrine, pretty impressive.

As we were leaving the village we noticed men across the road selling fruit and roasted peanuts. We sauntered over and proceeded to a bag of nuts and some oranges. Thinking the peanuts had a shell and were roasted they would be fine. The oranges were very tasty as well.

We walked home and Sujina fell asleep on dad's shoulder. No milk it was a first!!! We are excited.

Back at the room Paul and I sat our on our little veranda and enjoyed the view, the sounds of Nepal and just being together. We could see the highway across the valley and you could hear the bus horns like they were right behind you.

We ate the nuts and a few oranges. Sujina woke up, we played for a while, put more layers on because it was getting chilly and went up for dinner. The resturant had a nice large fireplace in teh middle. Sorta like a ski lodge, it was round so people could sit around it. We asked if we could sit around it when they lite the fire, but the waiter said the the fireplace was reserved. I had never hear of anything more funny. So we went and sat across the resturant and had a nice dinner. Of course the waiters all wanted to pick up and hold Sujina while we ate. She didn't seem to mind and we were able to eat a little.
We had them make a child portion of Dal Bhat and she loved it. That night she slept very well, an didnt drink very much milk. I had fried rice and Paul had chicken with veggies. He loved his and my was not bad.

Back in our room we had left the heater on to warm the room up, you really could not tell when we came back so we pilled on the clothes and jumped in bed. Sujina was out like a light and Paul and I watched Star Wars Empire Striks Back on Indian TV.

Somewhere around 2-3 in the morning I woke up with a strange feeling in my stomach and then spend the next 5 hours in the bathroom, freezing and vomiting like crazy. There would be nothing left in my body by 8am! NOTHING!
I remember at one point getting up off the floor of the bathroom and noticing I could see my breath when I breathed, that's how cold it was.

Paul and Sujina slept like rocks! Which was good because what could you do, and you really didn't want to listen to me.

The next day Paul and Sujina woke up about 8:30am, they went to breakfast and then for a walk. I was not vomiting by then but sure did feel like I had run a marathon and my stomach muscles killed me.

Everytime they would come back to the room all I could do was roll over and smile. At one point Sujina looked at me like " why aren't you up yet?" Paul suggested that we go back to Kathmandu and see the doctor at the hotel. I thought it would be nice to get back to Kathmandu to have a warm shower and sit in a heated room. So we called our friends and the car was sent.

By 2pm we were back in KTM and I was asleep on the bed. I actually was feeling much better, not vomiting but not feeling good either.
When Paul called for the car he also call the Annapurna Hotel to see if there was a room for us, htey were expecting us to be gone two nights.  When we arrived back here everyone was asking how I was feeling from the front door man to the reception ladies, to the man who brings us team in the morning. It was very sweet.

I was actually sad to leave Dhulikhel, is was a beautiful and peaceful place. I really wanted to do some hiking and Paul was loving it. But what can you do. I think it was the peanuts!

No comments: