Friday, February 09, 2007

The Wilson Scott Five

So we have been home a week and all is well. No one has left, no one has run away, no one has 
 given up. We are all doing our part to adjust to all the newness. It is taking some longer than others, but we are all patient.

Soon after we arrived home my parents went back to their home, they had frozen pipes so needed to get home to see about them. Paul's parents came as well, brought Sujina a beautiful blanket, one that only Linda can make, and on Sunday they were gone too. Paul was not to be at work until Monday am, but around 10am work called and Paul was
needed at 1pm. This meant that I was going to be "on" before I was mentally ready. So Paul went off and we went for a walk.

Beck has been having a hard time learning to share with his sister; sharing time with mom, sharing toys, books, lap time, and hugs and kisses. He tells Sujina that I am his mom, "not jina's mom".  I think it has mostly to do with the fact that he is two, not that he doesn't like his new 
sister.  

Rowe has taken his sister in and loves her very much, he talks to her in the car, keeps Beck from
hitting her, reads to her and helps with her bottle.  She had taken to him as well, she loves to crawl all over him and given him "kisses".  She is curious about Beck and wants to engage him but so far he will have none of it. He has little moments when he wants to be nice, but for now they are moments only.

I remember all to well Rowe being the same way with Beck. It is hard to share mom!

I am slowly adjusting to having three kids; three kids to feed, cloth, love, read to, play with, comfort etc..... the list goes on. I am lucky that Rowe is big enough to dress him self, get himself juice and the newest item on his "big boy" list, is being able to click himself in his carseat! He is now in the back and so has taught himself to buckle all the way in. Very proud of himself too!

After Paul went to work on Sunday the kids and I decided to walk down to the lake. It was a little chilly out but was sunny and we needed to get out of the house. The boys walked and I wore Sujina in the bjorn.  As usual getting to the lake was easy and fun until Beck dedided to walk through a deep water puddle. Feet soaked we kept going. We got down to the lake and it was frozen. The boys thought that was really interesting, so we had to throw lots of rocks to watch the ice crack.

We stayed a bit to long and Beck was not happy with his shoes, Sujina was getting a little cold and Rowe wanted to feed the ducks more. So we started walking back and when we got to the big hill Beck did not want to walk. He actually ran back down the hill a little and then stopped and started crying. Sujina was crying a little at this point, but on and off. Rowe was just watching what was happening.

We finally get to the top of the hill, my back is killing me but my son didn't want to walk any longer and refuses to go anymore. Sujina was full on crying at this point and Rowe was saying "Mom I think she is cold." And she was. Did I remember her bottle? No.... I just wanted us to get out of the house for a while.

By the time we all got back home, I was carring two children both crying and trying to keep Rowe together with us. We went inside and and tried to get everyone warm. Of course everyone wanted me to hold them, comfort them and make them more comfortable. Being the mom that I am, I wanted to do this for all of them. I wanted to make them all happy and relaxed. I didn't realize at the time that I was super stressed out  and they were feeding off of me.

I was worried about Sujina feeling comfortable with us, worried that Beck was going to feel left out and unloved, worried that Rowe would just be mad that he had a new sister.

With everyone crying or on the verge I just sat down and started crying too. I guess I really needed to just let go. There was so much stress in Nepal and around coming home that I really needed to just let it out.

I think I freaked out Rowe and Beck a little, but after we all cried and settled down it seemed that we were all much more at ease. Paul did not come home until around 8pm and by that time we were all good.

Since then I have felt very confident about having three kids and being able to deal with them. I think I was more worried about making everyone happy and once I let that go and came to terms with not being able to, and that it was okay, my stress level went way down.

I am not saying that I have it all undercontrol now, we still have our time issues, our sharing
issues and our taking turns issues but I am mentally better prepared to deal with them now.

As each day goes by our sleeping patterns are getting back to "normal" or at least on Central
time. Sujina is sleeping through most of the night and not waking until 7am! Or if she does wake, she just wants a bottle and then back to sleep! The boys play together very well now, so I know with more time they will all play well together.

This has been a wonderful experience, and one that I would not trade for the world. Sujina is a
true blessing and we are so thankful that she is here with us.

Here is a photo of our "New Family". Now we are complete.


No comments: